Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Life oh Life

Life, for serious, is a weird and freaky thing.

Like to sit here and realize, that not only am I an adult because of my age, but I guess I do adult-ish things.

For example, I can pay my own bills. I'm paying off a loan, I pay rent, I pay insurance, I pay for my cell-phone, I buy gas and groceries, I understand a credit score and how to work toward getting a better one, and I'm trying to save for both Italy and a marriage at the same time. These are all very grown-up things.

Apart from finances I know what to do if/when I get into a car accident, I have three years of a collegiate education behind me, I schedule my own doctors appointments and understand how my insurance works, (like I now understand what a 'deductable' is), I can change a tire, (Like for reals, I've done it), I understand how stocks and bonds work... The only thing I haven't really learned yet is how to do my own taxes. My sweet and loving father takes care of that mess for me. And I know how to work and work hard. Money doesn't scare me. Even if I'm struggling for a while, I'm not afraid. So what if I'm poor for a while, I just don't buy so much and work even harder. Piece of cake really. So yeah. I guess I'm an adult.

I didn't realize it really until my roommate a while ago came to me asking advice on her credit card...

Weird.

But no, seriously, it's weird. If you know me at all, especially from high school, you'd know that this is not something you would expect from me. I had tea parties and picnics throughout all of my adolescence. I even dressed up with my friends and went out and did crazy things, just because we could. I skipped school a lot, got pretty good grades knowing they could be even better if I care, but I chose not too... like, the responsible adult thing is just so out of character for me. So yeah. It's weird and surprising.

I'm getting married!!! That's a pretty big adult-like thing to do. And knowing myself, I would expect myself to be more scared than I am, but I'm really not. I can take care of myself already, so it's not like I have to learn how to do that at the same time as learning to care for someone else.

But this is a good thing that I'm going into a marriage so prepared. Because now I won't be forced to learn too much at once. I've got all the logistics learned, so I can focus only on the relationship and the marriage. Which, I'm thinking, is a pretty cool thing.

So yeah. I guess I'm an adult. And yeah, it's weird, but not that much has changed. I'm still willing to look like a total fool in front of people and I still know how to have a good time. I've just furthered my education a bit. That's all.

So yay for life. It's always moving somewhere, and if it feels like it's not, then I would venture to say that you're probably doing something wrong...

1 comment:

  1. Hey, you young and amazing adult. I love you. Congrats on your progressive and happy life!

    ReplyDelete