Saturday, May 30, 2009

...Oh Calamity...

"Don't you dare strike that brave, unbalanced woman!"

What has happened to the film industry? Is it just me, or does it seem that every movie is an adapted screenplay? Ok, maybe not EVERY movie. But if it's not an adapted screenplay it's one of the pitiful failures that make you role your eyes and say, "I could write this crap."

Not that I was alive in the 1940's or anything, but all those movies seemed just as marvelous as the next. And they were WELL written! I mean, the romance is real enough to make you swoon, the humor is witty enough to have you giggling four scenes later. The action... well that's improved, but that's all thanks to the fabulous CG teams or whatever.

But it's not like every film that was made was spectacular. We just know all the good ones because... well they're good enough to last 65 some odd years. But it seems to me that all of those classics were original screenplays. Right? Only a few books then made it into movie form. East of Eden, for example.

Perhaps it's just because I work in a bookstore. I'll just be doing my job and run across a copy of About a Boy, or The Women... and I hadn't REALIZED it was originally a book. So it just seems to me that Hollywood is losing originality or something. Of course every now and then they'll pop out something like Casanova or something. But not often enough it seems.

Oh woe. Oh spite. I guess this just means we'll all have to start putting our own imaginations to use and generate our own original story lines for entertainment.

Whatevs. I guess I can deal.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree! And now I'm thinkin' about it-- the movies I've really liked recently are the ones with an original screenplay. Like "Stranger than Fiction." Are Penelope and Juno original? I'm pretty sure Penelope is, but I don't know about Juno. Hm. Or "Dan in Real Life"! That was original. Okay. I'm done. I just really agree with you. :)

    ReplyDelete