Monday, March 7, 2011

Edith Piaf and Destiny

The decisions we make in life can be really funny when you think about. Yes, sometimes they really are just a flat out waste, but other times, they can be much enjoyed.

For example, I was at the grocery store with a list, (lists are very important in defining your whole grocery shopping experience), and whilst emerging from the frozen foods isle, a cute semi-older lady was at a sample table pouring water into tiny little cups. I tasted it and it really did taste just as I think water should taste. Next thing I know I'm letting her explain to me how this water is drawn from ocean waters in Hawaii 3,000 feet below the ocean's surface, and that it's got lots of good magnesium and charged electrolytes. Now I normally am not a fan buying plastic-bottled waters, but because they were on sale and it was yummy water, and the lady was so sweet and cute, (and I'd been turning down a lot of sample people lately), I bought 3 liters of it for $5.








This was all a week or so ago, and I hadn't yet cracked a bottle open. But I've had a pretty unproductive day and was feeling a need for a cheerful-pick me up. So I watched a good "life should be embraced" movie, then climbed into bed with my bottle water, and turned on Pandora. Last week my coworker told me to check out Edith Piaf, and I hadn't yet. So I typed her name into the station, and the first song that popped up was Mon Manege a Moi. She's like a french Ella Fitzgerald. (And I do love good ol' Ella.)

It was just such a happy moment. I had my special water and was sipping it to what may now be my new favorite song.

It's just funny how life's little decisions can play out.

Here's Edith singing Mon Manege a Moi... just to help you get an idea of the mood I had unintentionally created:

4 comments:

  1. honestly, I'm surprised you didn't know about her earlier. I just assumed you already loved her, she seems so you. I had a huge edith phase about two years ago. Just be careful if you watch her movie with Marion Cotillard, it's quite sad. Also, if you've seen Inception (which I assume you've also seen) the song that they play to "wake up" is edith piaf and the really loud parts of the movie is that song slowed wayyy down and really loud. it's quite interesting.

    My fav of hers is "Milord"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I LOVE inception, and now that you say that, I can totally hear her voice from the movie in my head.

    That may have to be my next blog post. Thanks Linds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love edith. so fantastic.

    also, isn't the the wife in inception the actress that plays edith in that movie? i'm pretty sure it is. coincidence? i think not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, it is. I was discussing this just yesterday. And she's a fabulous actress. Marion Cotillard is her name. And she one an oscar. She's a great actress.

    ReplyDelete