Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Greatest Job on Earth!



I love my job.

It's great. It's the cutest bookstore in the state. I only have to work the floor twice a week, I get to arrange schedules for and meet lots of my favorite authors, I can work from school, home or wherever, and I think I'm actually pretty good at what I do (which is always a good feeling).


(The gang after a successful signing with former president Jimmy Carter... He gave me a hug just after this picture was taken.)

I've worked at this place, (I realized this on Tuesday), for EIGHT years. EIGHT!!! I know for most people in a career that's totally not an impressive number, but I never really thought of this as a career. I started working there when I was 13 years old, and somehow, with no plan or motive to do so, I've climbed my way up the book-store ladder. I went from young Harry Potter/Junie B. Jones event helper to payed holiday giftwrapper. From there I became a children's room book seller, and now here I am, Children's Marketing Manager.


(Picture book author, Jan Brett)

And I get to work with great people! A) My mom, whom I get along with really well. B) Everyone else, including my bosses Anne and Margaret, who are really wonderful people. Margaret came to my house and helped address wedding invitations, for crying out loud! And I've made so many friends in past coworkers there: John, Jan, Connie, Mary, Kelly... I'm near tears just thinking about it. I just love my job. It's one of my favorite places on earth. That's why my husband chose to propose to me there. He knew it was a really important place for me.



I know I won't be there forever, but it has such a large place in my heart that I know the feelings and friendships I've had from there will remain with me forever.

(The wedding shower they threw for me. The food was all Italian themed.)

4 comments:

  1. i love this post. I've been thinking about my job a lot lately and it's nice to see someone who loves what they do.

    p.s. i miss bookclub. maybe we could revive it over the summer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was SO thinking about reviving Eating Butterflies. And you'll be the first to know when we do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. um, you are adorable. i hope that someday i can love my job as much as you love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you mean you won't be here forever???

    ReplyDelete